Hey, there's nothing wrong with RH9!  I run it (among other things)  :)

I'd try /var/log/messages for a start.
Another option is:  service  named  status
Thirdly, try "digging" from your box:   dig  itasca.net
Forth:  Try on the internet doing a "WhoIS" for itasca.net to be sure it's
still active.
Fifth:  I had an odd (similar) situation once that turned out to be my
router.  If I rebooted the router, the problem would go away for awhile.
It turned out to be a hardware issue which was solved by replacing the
router.

Good luck!