On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Mike Tuller wrote:

> I have created a script to backup files on a system, and want to set it
> so that when the backup is completed it will send an email to me. That
> way I can monitor if backups are being done. It looks like it has run,
> but I don't receive an email, so it must not be. Here is what I have as
> the part of the script that sends the email.
>
> echo "Email message body here." | mail -s "Email subject" me at domain.com
>
> What is wrong with this?

Is it finding 'mail'?  Is mail aliased?  In the path?  It is always safer
to use "/bin/mail" because you know what you're getting.

Can you do that (echo | mail) from the command line and have it work?  If
not, there may be a bigger problem with mail on your system.  If it does
work from the command line, and my fix above doesn't help, I'd say that it
is a network problem.

Let us know how it turns out.

Mike