The first thing I would try is both the SCSI cable and terminator.
They are relatively cheap, and you should have backups (if you don't
already) anyway, and it only takes a minute to change the cable and
terminator. From there, I would pursue the lines of thought pointed
out by others. But to start, keep it simple to rule that out.

John

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:31:29 -0500, rotbau <rotbau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running SUSE 9.0.  I am having some problems with a recently
> installed HP Surestore DAT 40.  When I try and run a backup, the
> computer freezes, slowly at first and then progressively gets more
> locked up.  Here is what happens.
>
> Start Backup
> BU software starts the jobs and hits a good xfer rate.  Usually within
> 30-50 seconds of starting the job the backup throughput falls and
> eventually goes to 0.  The tape drive stops receiving data (light
> stops flashing).  The backup software interface still functions but
> becomes increasingly unresponsive.  Same with the GUI interface.
> Eventually all user interfaces lock up.  If I run a very small backup
> job (like the htdocs directory) it will work fine.  Any larger job
> causes the hang.  No matter how long I wait, the software never
> generates and error message.  Also, nothing in any of the log files I
> checked to say what is happening.
>
> This box has apache and qmail running on it as well.  When it is
> locking up, I can still access the apache test page text, but the
> graphic won't load.  I can telnet to qmail but it won't send any mail.
>
> Here is the setup.
>
> Compaq Smart 2SL attached to 2 x 9 GB drives in RAID 1 and 1 36 GB drive.
> HP DAT is connected to on board Adaptec 7860 controller along with a
> NEC cdrom drive.  The CD is the last device on the chain.
> Backup software tried (both Tapeware and Arkeia).
> All drives appear as expected.  I can format tapes in the drive and
> have been able to work with as expected until I start a backup job.
>
> I suspect it is a hardware issue.  The 7860 is a ultra/narrow
> controller whereas the DAT drive is a Ultra/LVD drive.  Is it possible
> that this is the cause?  Could the location of the DAT on the cable be
> a problem, should it be last?
>
> This server also has a 7890 on-board controller that is Ultra/LVD, but
> when I enable it the machine won't boot to the Compaq raid controller.
>  I think I need to disable some stuff in the scsi bios to fix that
> problem, but I haven't had time.  The compaq 2sl also has a second
> channel, but the documentation that came with the dat suggests you
> shouldn't connect it to a raid controller if possible.
>
> Any suggestions on where to look for this problem would be helpful.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> rotbau

John T. Hoffoss