    Munir> rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
    >> I can't imagine anyone wanting a non-X windows linux system.  Even if
    >> your Mr. Text Mode like me, and mostly use the command-line and emacs,
    >> X is too handy to give up.  E.g., I love hopping back and forth
    >> between multiple konsole tabs, like having bigger console and Emacs
    >> windows, like having multiple emacs frames, like having my choice of
    >> readable black fonts on nice mild gray backgrounds, etc., etc.

    Munir> but you can do all that in console,

    Munir> first off compile the fb driver that corresponds to your videocard into
    Munir> the kernel, (in my case it is a neofb) and compile in framebuffer
    Munir> console support.

    Munir> if you do not have a driver for your video card you can try vesafb or
    Munir> better yet vesafb-tng

    Munir> add video=neofb:1024x768-16 at 60 to get a nice big screen, if your video
    Munir> card supporta a higher resolution go for it.

    Munir> use screen or twin to get the windowing abilities.

    Munir> use setterm to change the colours like:
    Munir> setterm -foreground green -background black to get your greenscreen
    Munir> back... or in your case you probably want -foreground black -background
    Munir> white

    Munir> really now... dump that X and free up the memory for more
    Munir> usefull stuff.

You meant to put a :-) on this, right?

cycles are cheap.  memory is cheap.  I have a dual-p4 3Gig with 1 G of
memory that cost O($500) from Dell.  my time is expensive.  I suppose
I COULD do all that to show that it's possible, but why would I?  Why
would you?

Especially since every now and then I *do* want to examine images,
like scientific plots, other peoples' articles in pdf, etc.