On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 04:00:24PM -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a parental log of some sort
> with Linux.  Not so much of a firewall that blocks traffic, but more of
> a system log of sites/ip addresses that were accessed.  Something that
> you can just set up a client computer with a gateway and at the end of
> the month (or whenever you wanted), get a report of the activity that
> was done.
>
> Price might be an issue, so free is better.
>
> I'd even be willing to piece one together myself.  Maybe a tcpdump
> outputting to files that can be parsed by perl/php into a nice web
> report.  The common areas would be easy (http/https/ftp/etc...) but I
> wouldn't know much about monitoring chatting/IM programs.
>
> Any ideas or recommendations on what I could do?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Frederick

Yeah, I had to set this up at work *sigh*..

What I ended up doing was set up a squid cache proxy on my firewall,
then in my firewall ruleset redirect outgoing port 80 to localhost 3129
(i think that's the right port..).

Squid by default logs all activity.  There's a nice squid log analyzer
called sarg that creates nice traffic reports per IP.

I think I have some notes on a wiki somewhere.  Let me know if you need
help.

It also might be worth looking at some of the firewall distros - i don't
know but i'd suspect one of them has something like dans guardian built
in (which is an add on to the setup above to actually block content).

Dan