> smac at visi.com wrote:
>
> Been a while sense I've seen a question that will stir the pot like
this
> one :-O
>
> What do you want to learn?
>
> If you want to learn "Linux" then install a base system (no X-windows)
and
> grow
> it to where you want to go. For this Debian would be a good choice
because
> it
> has apt-get and other tools for installing applications over the wire
that
> are
> very easy to use.
>
> If you want to use office applications and the guts don't matter then
> Fedora
> Core 2 may the way to go.
>
> This is only my humble opinion.
>
> Putting on flame proof suit, standing in lake Minnetonka, and holding
> fire
> extinguisher, LOL!
>
> Sam.
>
> Quoting "rbentz at dunwoody.edu" <rbentz at dunwoody.edu>:
>

> > If you were to recommend a distro for someone to learn on what would
it
> > be?
> > I would like to understand the common things about linux -- tools,
> > processes, setups, and other geek stuff.
<CUT>

Well I knew I was taking a chance that y'all might think I was trollin'
but really what I'd like to do is learn the common things.  I understand
the Linux file system and the directory structure, and user setup but it
ends there.  I've setup X on Slack seemed simple enough, are the X
config tools the same for all distros?
I have good scripting knowledge, understand networking fluently (name
resolution, subnets, firewalls, etc.) but no clue how to get all that
stuff packed into a linux box.
Examples of things I've had go wrong with no clue where to start are:
Network communication:  Do I have an address, is the gateway right?
Boot Failure:  How to view partition info, active partition, boot config
etc.
Device not working:  Where is the driver, is there a Device mangler?
	This has got to be one of the basic tools that exist in all
distros, right? Or maybe not?  That's what I want to start with, what
tools/configs/processes are common on say 70% of Linux.
I've read the huge sections of the gentoo docs and get lost in things
like "make."  Is that in all Linux too?
So maybe that helps clarify my understanding/skills...