On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:29:07 -0500
Thomas Johnson <tommyj27 at gmail.com> wrote:

> rob,
>
> when i finally learned linux for real i wiped windows, loaded
> slackware (www.slackware.com), gave my windows discs to a buddy with
> the instruction to not let me have them back for at least a year.
> talk about trial by fire. obviously your mileage may vary and mine
> might not have been the wisest choice, but i think slackware is a
> good distro if you really want to learn about how things work rather
> than just use linux. other's here will vehemently disagree with me,
> but that's my two cents.

I vehemently agree with your recommendation.  If you are ok with a
little trial by fire I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better
distro than slackware.  If you're looking for pretty Windows-esque
GUI's to configure your sound card best to stay with Redhat, SuSE or
Mandrake.  After years of frustration I personally refuse to install a
distro that's based on RPMs for packages (Redhat, SuSE and others).
Debian is also a nice choice that's in the middle-ground if you don't
need bleeding edge stuff.

None of the above mentioned distros are evil, I just developed by
preferences over time.  My recomendation, find an old pc you can play
with and not worry about, try a distro for a while, if you don't like
it try another, or setup a dual/triple-boot.  Stick around on the list
long enough and someone will eventually be selling cheap hardware if
you don't have a spare PC.

My $0.02.

P.S.  I don't think this question will generate nearly as many flames
as my personal favorites:

PostgreSQL or MySQL?
PhP, Perl or Python?
What's the best MTA?