    Josh> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:01:58 -0500, rbentz at dunwoody.edu
    Josh> <rbentz at dunwoody.edu> wrote:
    >> If you were to recommend a distro for someone to learn on what would it
    >> be?
    >> I would like to understand the common things about linux -- tools,
    >> processes, setups, and other geek stuff.
    >> Skill area is intermediate, mainly confused about the things windows
    >> does easily - drivers, updates, kernel compiles, dual boots, network
    >> configs, (the list goes on)
    >>
    >> Goal:  Build an optimized home system (very curious about gentoo but
    >> think I might drown in steps) and it would run on a laptop.  With the
    >> thought in mind to get rid of windo$e for a while and learn a new set of
    >> skills/methods for computing.
    >>
    >> Too broad of a question?  Thoughts?
    >>
    >> Rob

    Josh>  My thought would be to use gentoo. You'll learn more during an
    Josh> install than you will setting up redhat and using if for months. The
    Josh> install docs are very detailed, and explain how things work.

I would actually recommend one of the more pre-built distros.  Rob
seems to want to learn about tools, processes, etc.  I think it would
be fine to first install a ready-built distribution, get familiar with
using linux day-to-day, profiting from someone else having done a lot
of the work, then move to gentoo.

but then, I'm not sure what "intermediate" means in Rob's original
message...

But I had about a decade of work on Solaris before I started using
Linux, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to jump right into gentoo!

OTOH, for me that was a decade of USER work on Solaris, with not one
day of sysadmin work, so YMMV.