On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:38:42AM -0500, Jeff Nelson wrote:
> First, VMS is secure because security was designed into the operating
> system, not added as an afterthought. For example, the 4-layer ring
> design, where the core ring is the most trusted (kernel mode) and the
> outer ring least trusted (user mode). Another example: the
> specialization of privileges and access control lists. There's just one
> privilege (root) with Linux, though access control lists are starting to
> appear.

What are advantages of ACLs?  How do they benefit a medium-sized
network?  I understand that they are more flexible than the
traditional Unix groups approach, but they are also more complex
to deal with.  I have not seen any good case studies or
documentation that explains what problems ACLs solve better than
groups.  Well-designed Linux distributions have few processes
running as root.  I realize that there are situations where the
extra power of ACLs would come in handy, but most networks don't
even make full use of the power of groups.  Why should we expect
them to use ACLs effectively?

Anyway, if anyone has any links to some good information on
ACLs, I would appreciate seeing them. I keep hearing about them,
but I cannot understand the fascination.