I would never use the X.500 system here for authentication on our
systems. The whole concept is too easy to spoof unless you can count on
the user to always check that the address they're connecting for the
login screen is in fact the centralized server. How many do you think
will notice that they've been directed to http:// rather than https://
or that they've been directed to https://www.umn.edu.login.com rather
than https://www.umn.edu?

--rick