On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:33:14 -0500 (CDT), Mike Miller
<mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Ryan Ware wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:40:20 -0500 (CDT), Mike Miller
> >
> >> We have IT staff but they are just getting into Linux (they still
> >> prefer to run VMS, believe it or not).
> >
> > VMS is about a rock solid as you can get in both stability and security.
>
> Yet there are *many* problems with your statement and with continuing to
> use VMS.  I have some comments below.  I would be very interested in
> hearing more from the people on this list.  I am especially interested in
> knowing any ways in which VMS is *superior* to Linux.

<snip>

Mike,

In general for your needs it sounds like Linux would be much cheaper
to acquire and will support more of the apps you want.   Aqcuisition
cost is but one thing to consider though, maintenance, et al are all
factors.  In a university setting you have an advantage - cheap labor
supply (students) that can do a lot of the support for Linux.  Almost
none of them will have any VMS knowledge compared to the ones with
rudimentary Linux knowledge.

VMS is usually run by large companies who need reliablity.  I'm
guessing your university uses or at least used VMS at one time for
it's record keeping.

As far as stability, yes third party apps can be crap, but that
effects Windows, and Linux too.  VMS as an operating system is as
stable as any UNIX or UNIX like operating system out there.

Security.  Here is an interesting read I found on The Inquirer
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13420
VMS does much better than *nix.  Also if memory serves VMS is the ONLY
operating system that has been tested at the Defcon that wasn't
compromised.   I especially thought this quote in the article sheds
some light on why we have the security issues we do.  "The other
significant feature of these operating systems is the language in
which they are written. The two from IBM are both written in assembler
and OpenVMS uses a range of about ten languages, one of which is C.

C and similar languages that use pass-by-value techniques are
exceptionally prone to buffer overflow and the consequent potential
for unauthorized users to execute either their own malicious code or
other programs which run with enhanced access privileges. Avoiding the
use of these languages at the most vulnerable points, namely user I/O
and network I/O, would appear to be wise"

In the words of Sam McDonald  "I'm in an asbestos suit standing in the
middle of Lake Superior" if the C fans need to vent.