On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:32:20 -0500, John Meier <john.meier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> Getting my wife/home computer off of Win2k and have been trying out
> "desktop" distros. I have startcom, xandros, and lycoris burned to
> cdrom.  I had startcom on for a few days - she just didn;t like the
> gnome setup and some things didn't work off the bat (dvd/cd burner not
> detected, no NTFS support, Xine stuttered alot etc).
>
> Now normally - I'd love to tinker with it, but at this time and on
> this computer, I don't want to stray into custom setups and quick
> hacks.
>
> Xandros replaced the Startcom install and it looks alot more familiar
> (KDE with redmond decorations) - the Xandros file manager is a lot
> like Explorer, NTFS partitions mounted automagically, Xine works
> great, cdburner detected.  The version of Xandros that you buy comes
> with crossover so we should be able to run some windows stuff like
> Quicken word etc.
>
> Next up is Lycoris, then ??? Linodws?.
>
> We need to, out of the box :
>
> mount up old windows drives
> feel like windows
> run quicken
> print photos
> do word and excel like stuff
> email
> surf
>
> I don't mind spending money on the distro if it meets most of the
> above - esp. printing photos and running quicken.  Would also like
> nice security updates and package installs...  No tinkering needed -
> Stuff Just Works...
>
> thanks
> john
>
> P.S.
>
>  I run gentoo on my own computers and on a few servers at work...  I
> just don't want ot be tinkering all the time on the home computer

Why not use WinXP then? It's very similar to 2000, it has a new
look/feel to it, and everything works out of box. Then put firefox on
it. If there are problems with pages not working, it's more than
likely 'cause the page was built for ie. I use firefox on windows
right now and haven't had any problems with it yet.

If you really really want to go to linux, use gentoo. You know it
well. You can teach her the "emerge" command very easily. Then
everything is pretty simple to setup.

>From what it sounds like, you should just stick to windows. I use
WinXP at home, 'cause there have been several things I need that I
haven't found on linux..... and I like to play the ocassionla game
here and there.

-Josh