On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Ryan Ware wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:40:20 -0500 (CDT), Mike Miller
>
>> We have IT staff but they are just getting into Linux (they still
>> prefer to run VMS, believe it or not).
>
> VMS is about a rock solid as you can get in both stability and security.

Yet there are *many* problems with your statement and with continuing to
use VMS.  I have some comments below.  I would be very interested in
hearing more from the people on this list.  I am especially interested in
knowing any ways in which VMS is *superior* to Linux.

Regarding stability:  VMS may be a stable OS, but how stable is the
software that is running on VMS?  Well, that depends.  Some VMS software
is quite buggy and there is little hope that those bugs will be fixed any
time soon.  This brings us to the big problem with VMS - very little new
software is being developed for VMS.  Compare that with Linux!  We would
like to run R...

http://www.r-project.org/

...but that will never happen on VMS.  That's one example.  There are
dozens of other examples.  The corporations that have owned VMS over the
past few years (it has changed hands several times) have threatened to put
an end to it, but user protest has kept it going.  It's a "lock-in"
problem for many users - they have code that runs on VMS but not on
Linux/UNIX.  We have to fight lock-in.

Regarding security:  Do you have evidence that VMS is secure?  More secure
than Linux/UNIX?  I would like to know more.  What I see is that we are
running insecure protocols because either SSH is not available for VMS, or
our IT staff don't want to run it (maybe it is prohibitively expensive).
I have told them that telnet/ftp are not secure - passwords are
transmitted in the clear across the internet - but they have not lifted a
finger to change this situation in the 3 years I've been here.  (I just
found a company that sells SSH for VMS, but their price is high enough
that they don't list it on their web page, so I left a voice mail in their
sales department.)

Regarding cost:  You didn't mention cost.  We just started using spam
filtering software on VMS.  On Linux, I believe you can get nice spam
filtering for free, but the spam filtering software we just ordered for
VMS is costing us $3,700 per year.  That will be $37,000 in the next
decade just for spam filtering.  That is just *one* minor program.  I
doubt the VMS spam filtering software (PreciseMail; www.process.com) is
superior to the usual Linux spam filtering software.

If someone can convince me that use of VMS on servers is a good plan for a
University department, please do so because it will make me feel better
about what's happening where I work.  I would be especially encouraged if
you would recommend it for a new unit that has no server system in place.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.