You may want to check out glis (from glis.sourceforge.net) as well.  It
is an install script for Gentoo.  Set a few parameters such as disk
space usage, which stage you want, etc. and it will install Gentoo for
you.

I was unable to use it on my main machine with an AMD64 using SATA
drives and a few other unusual pieces of hardware but have used it in
vmware a couple of times.

Good luck.  Gentoo is great, not for the optimizations which are nice
but for Portage.  Simply wonderful, and this from a formerly Debian guy!