Folks,

Here's a more in-depth overview from Paul Anderson [Wind River], the
speaker I lined up for Nov. 6. Could anyone provide a decent estimate
of how many people Paul can expect?

John

------
>From Marketing:

About Wind River
Wind River is the market leader in device software optimization. Wind River
enables companies to develop and run software faster, better, at a lower
cost and more reliably. Wind River Platforms tightly integrate a rich set of
market-leading operating systems, development tools and middleware with
services to provide a complete foundation that meets the specific
requirements of a vertical market. Wind River's products and professional
services are used in multiple markets including aerospace and defense,
automotive, digital consumer, industrial, and network infrastructure.
Companies from around the world turn to Wind River to create the most
reliable products and to accelerate their time to market.

Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with
operations worldwide. To learn more, visit Wind River at
http://www.windriver.com or call Wind River at 1-800-872-4977.

A bit more technical description from me:

Since 1981, Wind River Systems has been providing:

        - Embedded runtime software components:
                - VxWorks real time operating system
                - Embedded Linux products
                - Networking stacks and middleware
        - Compiliers, and software assist technology:
                - Standalone compiler technology (Diab and GNU compilers)
                - Integrated development environments (Tornado and
Workbench)
        - Hardware assist technology:
                - In-circuit emulators (ICE and JTAG)
                - Reference boards
        - Complete market-specific development platform products for the
following markets:
                - Networking and Telco Infrastructure
                - Consumer
                - Industrial
                - Automotive
                - Safety Critical applications
                - General Purpose Device Applications

We are the largest single commercial provider of device development and
runtime software in the market. We run on everything from the Apple Airport
to the Mars Rover, and everything in between. We run on all major
architectures (IA, PPC, MIPS, ARM/XSCALE), and have development tools
running on most available operating systems.

A description of my talk:

Open Source, and the Future of Device Software

Market forces, and disruptive technological change are creating a revolution
in how we think about devices, and the software in them. Just as Personal
Computers replaced the majority of Mainframes and Workstations, a similar
trend is underway how embedded device design, development, and deployment
occurs. We will explore the important elements of change, focusing
specifically on how the Open Source movement is leading change, and an
overview of how Wind River is responding to these changes. Come and learn
about the opportunities ahead!

I can also bring along a technical overview of the company's products,
and/or talk specificially about the company's plans for Embedded Linux, if
you think that would be a better topic for the meeting.

And... I can get into serious "Geek Banter" too with the gang if they would
like that. Just give me a white board and we'll be off to the races! ;-)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

-pja

Ps. How many people do you expect to attend?