A week or so ago, I asked for help with a USB drive that seemed
miserably slow.  I got a bunch of suggestions, and have tried some
things out, but didn't make much progress.

However, suffering through another ultra-slow backup session, I
started poking around in my kernel logs.  I found the following
warning:

Oct  7 17:48:14 necronomicon kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device sda1):
ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3
filesystem as ext2
Oct  7 17:48:14 necronomicon kernel:
Oct  7 17:48:14 necronomicon kernel: EXT2-fs warning: mounting
unchecked fs, running e2fsck is reco
mmended
Oct  7 17:50:52 necronomicon last message repeated 3 times

...after that we start to see things like

Oct  7 18:07:08 necronomicon last message repeated 743 times

I strongly suspect that this is contributing to the miserable
throughput.  And the following load data:

20:40:04 up 9 days, 22:41,  1 user,  load average: 4.69, 5.36, 5.36

which is pretty miserable for a dual P3G that's doing nothing other
than running rsync and this emacs session (and the emacs session is
even in a console window, rather than on X!).

Anyone have any suggestions about how to make it stop with these damn
warnings and checks?

Thanks!