On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:44:45 -0500, Kevin Lombardo
<kevin.lombardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I requested to attend a SANS training course in San Francisco this
> November, but   due to budget constraints, my manager has asked me to
> consider equivalent training locally.
>
> Does anyone know of anyplace in the metro that has similar courses?
>
> I wanted to take the "Hacker Techniques,Exploits, and Incident
> Handling", but I would be open to anything involving securing
> Linux/Unix/Windows, computer forensics, etc.

I took this course when they offered it here in Minneapolis in June,
and while not a bad course (Ed Skoudis is great) a copy of Hacking
Exposed, combined with a few practice penetration tests done from home
will teach you almost as much.

In that vein, just following Bugtraq or the SecurityFocus pen-test
list can teach you quite a bit. Of course, neither technique provides
letters to add to a business card, so if that's [part of] what you're
looking for...

You can also do SANS at Home, which, if you register at the right time,
can get you an iPod for "free" (i.e. your employer paid for it by
paying SANS). SANS also does a fair amount of instructor-led online
training and local-mentor courses. One of these may be just right, and
I know one was set up to start soon (if it hasn't already) in the
area. (Thank you, SANS SPAM for educating me, and thus TCLUG!)