The only database I've seen that could handle synchronizing disconnected
databases is Oracle - a number can do replication which is a bit
simpler. Its not hard if you have a very simple, or single, table
structure; after all, that's what all the PDA synch stuff does. But when
you get into more complex data models you have to deal with all sorts of
potential referential integrity issues. For example, someone deletes a
parent record on the server which invalidates an edited child record on
your laptop version. Even the PDA synch run into problems when one
person changes part of an integral record, say a meeting description,
and another person changes the another part, say the time. Which record
do you take, or do you try to merge the two?

If the data structure is simple enough, and you are the only one making
changes, you can probably use table triggers to write SQL statements to
a log table. Then you apply the statements to the database you want to
synch, but even then there are a bunch of gotchas and I don't recall if
MySQL supports triggers in the current version.

Good luck.

--rick