Yaron wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> I'm wondering if any of you monitor your CPU temp. What's normal? What
> are the ranges? etc. And what kind of cooling solution are you using
> (Fan that came with the CPU, kickass fan, water, helium)?
>
> I just got an AMD64, and I'm using the fan/heatsink it came with. The
> CPU temp is normally around 105 degrees, but when I actually make it
> work (it's been encoding OGGs for the past hour or so) it goes up to
> 120. As soon as encoding is done, it drops back down.
>
> My previous CPU was way hotter... till I accidentally disconnected the
> fan's temp sensor, so it was always on High.
>
> I'm curious about other peoples' setup now (:
>

> -Yaron

I run a dual Xeon at home that I'm trying to get acpi support working
on, but currently it's unstable at best and I need stability above all
else.  If I get it running anytime soon I'll post the info.

I also have a laptop that runs a P3 1.13Ghz, and that runs anywhere
between high 40's C up to the high 80's C.  I don't think I've ever hit
90C yet.  But average for that system is about 65-70C.

<shameless plug>
I also do development on a dockapp called wmacpi_temp in my spare time.
"http://freshmeat.net/projects/wmacpi_temp/"
</shameless plug>

 From what I know, different models of cpus will have different heat
ranges that are acceptable.  But any clockspeed of that model will
mostly stay in the same heat range.  Anything outside of that range is
usually signs of faulty hardware or simply a bad setup.

I remember the first computer I ever built, I didn't bother to add a cpu
fan on an AMD k62 333Mhz.  Trying to get windows loaded and working on
that was really fun. :)

I would try to do a google search and see what the accepted heat range
for an AMD64 cpu is before getting too worried though.

Chris Frederick