On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:15:13 -0500, Patrick Hawkins <phawk42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> p.s. For all you Slackware heads: I totally respect your distro, but I
> want a more modern package-management system.

[sarcasm] If you haven't been updating your system for over a year,
then how do you know what a package managament system really is like?
[/sarcasm]

Okay, now that that is out of the way, you're free to try what ever
you want.  But, I'll say that even at this point in time with the
number of servers I administer I prefer to do it by hand.  I want to
know what's going onto my systems, and what the dependancies are.
BTW, it looks like they pulled it from the Slack 10 cd's but there was
a package management tool called swaret that some people really liked.
 I never used it personally.

I agree with Zibbies, though.  Chose what you want to run in regards
to what you're after and comfortable with.  I prefer Slackware, even
though I administer Red Hat Enterprise v3 boxes at work.

Not trying to start a flameware, just offering up another perspective.

--
-Shawn

"That which hits the fan, will not be evenly distributed."