I've plugged it before, and I'll plug it again: everydns.net is free,
has a perl and win32 exe update client, that you just have to
cron/schedule, allows you to control all your domains, and include
records for all of them.

Of course ,if you have a reason to run a full DNS server at home,
great. But for me, one alias points home, another to a hosted server,
another to a friend's server.

The only drawback: all of your dynamic names/domains point to the
single allowed update client. So if I wanted a second dynamic domain
pointing somewhere other than home, I would have to set up a second
everydns account for it.

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:31:58 -0500, Josh Trutwin
<josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:13:08 -0500 (CDT)
> Jima <jima at beer.tclug.org> wrote:

> > > Glad to hear it! I run a similar setup, just using a nsupdate
> > > script to update my Bind9 DNS server instead of DynDNS.  :)
>
> I seemed to have glitched things for a little while and missed this message.
>
> >  Ditto, thanks to your vague instructions a few years ago.  Although
> >  I've
> > also set up a CGI script with Net::DNS on a web server to perform
> > the same function without the overhead of nsupdate on each host;
> > `wget` or a bookmark in a web browser will do the job, which makes
> > it more usable.
>
> I was thinking I'd write a little perl program, or hack ddclient to open a socket when the IP changed to notify my other static server which is now serving DNS (djbdns) for the 4-5 personal sites I left on my home net.  DynDNS's CustomDNS which lets you choose whatever DNS name you want and run it under dynamic DNS is a wee pricy at $30.00 a year to essentially do what I just described.
>
> Thx,
>
> Josh

John T. Hoffoss