You have not really described what steps that you have taken to diagnose
the problems of the machine. You said that it does not boot from CD.
Have you opened it up and blown out the dust? I resurrected a "dead"
machine this way and was a hero/genius. Have you installed a good CD
drive and tried to boot? Have you re-seated: cables, CPU, RAM?

If you really want to save money then IMHO find out exactly what is
wrong and just fix that. Maybe you've already done that but just not
posted your investigation.

Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff