Josh Trutwin wrote:

I'm using DynDNS
> (the best) for dynamic DNS services and they have a client program
> (ddclient) which I expect to run on the Debian box to tell DynDNS when
> my IP address changes, not sure how that well that will work though if
> the IP changes and suddenly eth0 has the wrong IP address?
>
> Josh

Well, if your IP changes & the Dyndns client does not work
all that will happen is ET will not be able to phone home
until you manually update your dyndns account.

No worries though.  I have had RR Cable for 2 1/2 years now
since I moved here.  My IP has only changed once (super long
power outage).  For prob the past 1 1/2 year I have had the
same IP # which is cool.  I also use DynDNS, and got sick of
their monthly manditory update, so I just changed my account
to the static option.  If my IP would happen to change, I'll
just go in their & update my account (since it almost never
happens).  Once you receive you IP from RR I would recommend
just using the Static IP option on DynDNS instead of their
dynamic option.  It will be less hassel, and you'll stop
receiving the monthly warning - manditory update/refresh alerts.

I used to live & LA prior to this & had DSL.  That IP
changed all the time, so I used a similar setup like you are
talking about to update the DynDNS.  But really, for RR
Cable it is very rare that your IP will change.

Have Fun,

Robert De Mars
--
Lat.  45:09n