On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> Ah, after being on a static network for so long I forgot all about dhcp.
> :)

Heh! Lucky guy.

> Actually the LAST thing I want to do is throw an IIS box in front of my
> firewall.

Well, true enough.

> I had thought of the above solution as a last resort if I couldn't
> connect Cable Modem to Debian box.  Are you saying "Nooo!" just because
> it's a useless extra hop, or is it the NAT that so disturbs you.  :)

Extra NAT in front of the Linux box. Means that protocols that aren't NAT
friendly won't work nicely, and you may run into weird little connectivity
problems. A lot of times those boxes will only forward TCP, ICMP, and UDP
traffic - "huh, there are other protocols?"

I don't mind NAT, I just like being in control of the box doing the NAT.
:)