On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:01:49 -0600
gregwm <tclug at greatlakedata.com> wrote:

> hello fellow techheads,
>
> does anyone have a pointer to a nice terse unbiased discussion
> somewhere about the relative merits of courier imap vs cyrus imap vs
> other remote email access folder sharing methods?

Heh - personlly I prefer courier - I cannot badmouth any of the others
because I haven't tried them enough to have a bad opinion.  I have
heard nightmare stories about uw-imap though.  Courier's maintainer is
very active on the mailing lists and has answered many of my support
questions directly.  The release cycle is frequent enough to let you
know he's working hard on the project, but not frequent enough to be a
pain in the rear to update every other week.

Another IMAP server with some promise, though still pretty young is
Binc-IMAP.  If you use qmail it's a nice fit as it's made for Maildirs
and has daemontools style startup scripts.

> does the fact that cyrus has come into common use for smtpauth stand
> as a factor for also using cyrus imap vs courier imap or is that
> irrelevant?

I would say irrelevant - wouldn't you handle smtpauth with the smtp
server - I assume you are talking about Cyrus-SASL which is a
standalone product from their IMAP server AFAIK.  Personally, I use a
qmail / mailfront implementation for smtp-auth.

> is there a way to do roaming profiles via imap?

Do you mean roaming user access for relaying?  This can be done with
smtp-auth or an IMAP before/after SMTP solution like relayctrl.  Not
sure what you're looking for here...

> or conversely, are there better approaches that either solve or
> obviate the needs for imap and/or roaming profiles?

Again, elaborate on what you mean by "roaming profiles".

> and what does anyone think of Sender Policy Framework?

I have yet to implement it, though it's on my list of TODO's.

> (i'm in the visioning stage for replacing our m$ based mail
> service..)

Any step in this direction is a good one.  Personally I use qmail with
courier-imap.  It's a bit of a homebrew system though.  I know some
who are religious about which MTA you use, whatever, just pick one
that meets your needs.  As far as IMAP goes, same deal, though I
cannot imagine that you could go wrong with Courier-IMAP.  FWIW
Courier also has a full-featured MTA as well.

Josh