On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:01:49 -0600, gregwm <tclug at greatlakedata.com> wrote:
> hello fellow techheads,
>
> does anyone have a pointer to a nice terse unbiased discussion somewhere
> about the relative merits of courier imap vs cyrus imap vs other remote
> email access folder sharing methods?

You likely wont find one. Do some research on both sides of the fence
to find out what fits best for your situation.

> does the fact that cyrus has come into common use for smtpauth stand as
> a factor for also using cyrus imap vs courier imap or is that
> irrelevant?

postfix uses the cyrus sasl libs to do smtpauth, and though there is
much confusion on how to do it, once you figure it out its not bad.

> is there a way to do roaming profiles via imap?

roaming profiles for what? imap is best used for mail storage, using
it for much of anything else will likely give you a headache.

> or conversely, are there better approaches that either solve or obviate
> the needs for imap and/or roaming profiles?

LDAP is a convienient way to store profile like information in a
central place for roaming (generic) clients. The problem is, not many
email clients know how to do this.

> and what does anyone think of Sender Policy Framework?

I think its a good idea, but may not go very far.

> (i'm in the visioning stage for replacing our m$ based mail service..)

There are a lot of options out there: sendmail/postfix/qmail +
courier-imap/cyrus-imap/uw-imap (and more).  Most have a way of using
*sql or LDAP as a back end so you dont have to rely on system
accounts.

I prefer the postfix/courier-imap/mysql combo at home, and the same
basic setup at work, but with LDAP instead of mysql.

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/