On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Josh Trutwin wrote:

> Anyone have suggestions for arching old email in a MySQL/PostgreSQL
> database?  I have 1000's of messages from years of being on mailing
> lists.  Many messages I can probably delete, but many I want to keep
> around.  My IMAP client (sylpheed) bogs down with the amount of mail I'm
> going through.  Yes I know I could just use grep, but part of the reason
> for wanting to archive these in a RDBMS is to have a web-accessible
> search page that takes advantage of things like FULLTEXT indexes.
>
> Anyone know of an Open Source tool that does this?

What a great question.  There must be a better way than what I do.  I have
mbox files - one per month since 1/1/1995, that were saved by Pine.  To
find old messages, I use 'grepmail' - a nice Perl program:

http://grepmail.sourceforge.net/

It writes to stdout and can read from stdin, so it is possible to chain
grepmail commands to do fairly sophisticated regexp searches using Boolean
'AND' with multiple patterns from different fields.

It works OK, but your plan sounds way better.

Mike