On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Raymond Norton wrote:

> What occurs during scp that you can't just copy over existing passwd,
> shadow, group, and /home files to the new server and get them to work?

Make sure to use the -p option:

-p   Tells scp2 to preserve file attributes and timestamps

Then make sure that the file ownerships are correct.  I'm not sure that
the -p option preserves file ownership.

I'm pretty sure that it is much safer, for /home, to use tar create, with
the correct options, then scp and tar extract.  Maybe someone else will
have more recent experience doing this.  I last did it more than three
years ago.

Mike