Quoting Wayne Johnson <waynej at dccmn.com>:

> I've been looking into the possibilities of setting up an IPSec connection
> between my home server (Fedora Core) and work network (using a Cisco PIX
> firewall).  The Admins there have the VPN set up to use the Cisco VPN
> Client (which I believe is IPSec).  I'd like to set up an IPSec
> connection, but the parameters the Admins have given me don't seem to fall
> in with what I know of IPSec.
>
> To complicate things a bit, the Fedora IPSec implementation is pretty
> poorly documented.  Most references I've seen refer to it as 26sec and
> that it is a derivative of Kame.
>
> Anyone used 26sec to talk to Cisco?  Anyone have references?

I've not got a Fedora box speaking to my PIX, but I might be able to offer some
insight into what your admins are giving you. If they are using the Cisco VPN
Client, they are probably using the Cisco EZ VPN Server on the PIX. From my
knowledge it is IPSec, but the authentication phase is a custom Cisco hack that
works fairly well for the intended pupose but has, to my knowledge, virtually
no interoperability. I believe that for you to get a tunnel from your Red Hat
box you would need to sweet talk your admin into setting up another isakmp
policy and crypto map for your setup.

I could be wrong, but I think that is why wha they are giving you looks
different from what you expect.

Thanks,
Josh