Hello,

I'm running into some strange occurrences today on Fedora Core 1.
After a reboot I logged into my Gnome desktop and the panel was gone.
This has happened to me in the past and is easily solved by issuing
the 'gnome-panel &' command from a terminal. However today was
different as /usr/bin/gnome-panel seemed to have disappeared, along
with several other files and even an entire drive.
To solve the panel problem I simply inserted my Fedora media and 'rpm
-Uvh --oldpackage gnome-panel*.rpm && yum update gnome-panel' but I'm
still wondering why this happened - especially in light of the other
problems listed below.

Other strange behaviors are files that appear to be missing. Earlier
today I was moving some .wav files from my home directory to a
separate drive in the system mounted under /newdisk. The operation was
taking a very long time so I killed it and then listed /newdisk.
Nothing returned even though there was data on that drive previously
and files were apparently moving there since they are no longer in my
home directory.
I thought the /newdisk drive was causing the problem so I unmounted
it. Now when I try to mount it I get the error "/dev/hdb1:
Input/output error"

Also, I tried to run a script located in /usr/local/bin called
'psfind'. According to ls this script is MIA, but when I do a
'/usr/local/bin/ps[tab][tab]' it shows up as an option in Bash. So I
downloaded another copy of psfind and did 'mv /home/ryan/psfind.pl
/usr/local/bin && chmod +x /usr/local/bin/psfind.pl'.
The file moved just fine, but on the chmod operation I get an error:
"mv: cannot stat `/usr/local/bin/psfind': Input/output error"

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here? Any help
appreciated.

Thank you.

-- Ryan