On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Josh Welch wrote:

> That seems really odd. I would think that the default for an MTA would be to
> reject mail which does not have an intended recipient. I am not familiar with

I've never used Postfix, but I wonder if he's doing some sort of
queue-first ask questions later config for some reason.  It should reject
the message during the SMTP transaction like every other intelligent SMTP
daemon in the world.

MS Exchange is the only one I know of that by default will accept anything
to the domain, and bounce it later.  I think an MS person once told me
that it had something to do with how the SMTP daemon was architected,
something about not being able to do the user lookup immediately.  This is
that world renowned "tight integration" that they keep touting...

Anyways, I wonder if this particular Postfix box can't do the user lookup
immediately, like this is not the primary MX that handles local delivery
or something.  I hacked together a Sendmail ruleset that gets run right
after the sender issues RCPT TO: to check the validity of a non-local
mailbox, but I wouldn't know the first thing about implementing it in
Postfix.