On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:22:43 -0600, Tim Wilson <wilson at visi.com> wrote:

> What did you do with incoming messages during the transition time?

well, this is the beauty of MX records. Build the new system while the
old one is still in use, then for a time keep both running and change
the MX record in DNS to point to the new server. Obviously this will
mean you would need some way of replicating messages from the old
system to the new one but this should be fairly trivial (see below).

> How did you move the mailboxes from the old system to the new one?

I have 0 experience with the server software you are using, but I am
guessing there must be some kind of migration tool you can use. If not
you can probably script up something to take input from a file where
all the users are listed to actually create the mailboxes and users.

As far as moving messages, perhaps in the beginning you could set up
an NFS share (or whatever mac os9 will let you do) from the old
machine and after the DNS has propogated you could set aside a time to
just take down the old machine and copy all the data to the new
machine.

--
Loren H. Burlingame <loren at lhb.name>
GPG Key ID: 0x112DCF4F