On 11 Nov 2004, Josh Welch wrote:
> Quoting Matt Murphy <mmurphy at tc-tech.com>:
>
> >   > It doesn't have much to do with linux.
> >
> > 	Yes, it does. If we continue to use closed-source voting machines with

> > no paper trail, we'll never have any way to check whether the votes we
> > cast were really counted correctly. A linux-based open source solution
> > would give us confidence in the vote, which I for one have very little
> > of at the moment.
> >
> > 	Whether we think there was foul play or not, I think we can all agree
> > that we need open source voting machines. And while it doesn't really
> > give us much more to discuss on the matter, except maybe how to
> > influence secretaries of state, it is certainly linux-relevant IMO.
> >
> > Matt
> >

> The discussion, as evidenced by the posts on this thread so far, will
quickly
> turn from a technical discussion regarding the merits of different voting
> systems to a vigorous liberal vs conservative slapfest. I've seen enough
of
> that already this year, I can't stomach any more.
>
> There are far better places to discuss this than here.
>
> josh

It is at the very least encouraging to see that everyong in the US is
looking at the system, the politics that drive the system in all its
imperfection. While my age group showed disturbing complacency (18-24 year
olds), I'm hoping this spirit of questioning and criticizing the weaknesses
of said system. That having been said, it is perhaps better to take this
conversation elsewhere. Keep up the good work people, I do hope these
efforts lead to something good for society.

Matteo