Exit polls are used when we try to verify the authenticity of
elections in third world contries.  It is very possible that the exit
polls were wrong but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't question the
methodology.  Either the exit polls were wrong because of early voting
and other reasons or the voting system is wrong.  If people could have
access to the exit polling data this issue could be decided.

The article states specifically, when comparing the entire state only
counties that use a specific type of electronic voting method by
Diebold were statistically off.

The article also mentions how one could tamper with such a system by
opening the database record into MS Excel and copy and pasting the
results around.  Basically there is no way to verify that the votes
have been changed unless such provisions are enabled into the
software.

It is like when we were running Windows 98 from home through a VPN but
each computer was directly connected to the internet.  We upgraded to
Windows 2000 and suddenly saw a huge list of break-in attempts from
the same computers in the same situation.  I had to explain that
Windows 2000 didn' t make us less secure it just informed us of our
vulnerability.  Now we have firewalls on each computer and continue to
monitor the security logs.

When I started working with Linux, I was very happy to see that Linux
has a lot more information in the logs than Windows ever did.  If the
information is not recorded, you cannot get that information
after-the-fact, you needed that information recorded before you had
the error.

--
Jeff Rasmussen
GPG public key 0x9686C12F