On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:52:04PM -0600, rotbau wrote:
> I have another question regarding upgrading a kernel.  I have a slack
> 10 box currently running 2.4.26 which is the default kernel with 10.
> In the slack-current there is a 2.4.27.
>
> My question is if I have to recompile the kernel to add smp support
> should I use the 2.4.27 kernel or stay with the 2.4.26?  I am
> concerned that if I try and run the 2.4.27 on the system w/out
> updating other libraries and modules I will run into dependency
> issues.  Anyone have any insight for me on this?  Thanks.
>
> regards,
> rotbau

I wouldn't expect you to have any issues going from kernel 2.4.26 to 2.4.27. I
like starting with my old .config file and running make oldconfig. It will
display only those prompts that are new to 2.4.27. Then, I run make menuconfig
and make sure everything was set the way I expected.

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist