Have you tried the MEPIS install?
It's Debian with a great installer (it's a "live" CD with an "install to
hard drive option). I've tried it on two different HP laptops and it
worked perfect on each one. All I had to do was install the DVD CSS lib
to play commercial DVDs.

Once it's installed to hard drive, you can use the GUI package updater
or command line, whichever you prefer.

Use version 2004.04

--
Todd Young