On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:52:06 -0600, Andrew Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ignore the LDAP portion enterily. Windows domain controllers do LDAP
> yes, but it's still a windows domain. The limitation of a Native
> Windows 2003 Active Directory is that domain controllers must be
> Windows 2003, so no Windows 2000 or Windows NT domain controllers.
>
> A Windows 2003 Native Active Directory still supports WinXP, Win2k,
> Win9x, WinNT4, etc...so as long as the version of samba you're running
> can join a domain, you're more or less set.
>
> Setup samba as a domain member, setup winbind if you want to use the
> windows domain to login clients to Linux workstations, etc. Read the
> Official Samba 3 HOWTO. :)
>
> I'd suggesst upgrading the older versions of Samba to the latest
> version. If that isn't an option, samba can still join the domain, but
> IMHO, you're better off maintaining one version of samba than many
> different versions, you'll just end up confusing yourself getting the
> differences between 2.x and 3.x figured out.

Thanks, Andrew.  The *nix boxes (Linux, AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, Tru64)
won't be domain controllers in any fashion.  I was told that the
domain controllers are being rebuilt/upgraded to Win2k3.

I'll read thru the Samba 3 docs to see what needs to be done.  As to
upgrading the older boxes, that might be more hassle than it's worth.
Aside from Linux, to my knowledge all major UNIX vendors are still
shipping Samba 2.x.  Which may be the killing factor for Samba
upgrades.

--
-Shawn

"That which hits the fan, will not be evenly distributed."