Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I have a gateway/firewall/you-name-it server that has just been giving
> me performance trouble.  I have been running FreeBSD 5x (now 5.3-RC2)
> faithfully on it, hoping for better days.  Well, the performance just
> isn't there (it is a rather old machine with 288MB RAM / P2-333).  I put
> Gentoo on it and it performed well.  However, I now find Gentoo lacking
> in several areas.  One is that MySQL is not up-to-date (I actually
> prefer postgresql), even in the unstable branch.  OpenLDAP is not
> up-to-date either.  I find that several packages are not tested well
> either, for instance maildrop, which will gladly fail with a 0x0B (sig
> 11) when a filter rule matches [this does NOT happen on FreeBSD].  So, I
> don't know what to do to be happy?

What exactly were the performance issues you were having with FreeBSD?
I've run FreeBSD 4.8-4.10 on a 486 as a gateway box and haven't had any
performance problems.  You might try the local BSD user's group for help
on the FreeBSD end of things:

	http://www.tcbug.org/

I've also used a stripped down version of Slackware on an old 486 in the
past for a gateway/firewall/ssh/dns server.  It performed well, was very
stable, and had a small footprint that fit comfortably on a 540 MB hard
drive and 32 MB RAM.  I ran a 2.4 kernel though.
--
scot