> I am only aware of one publicly available mail server that does this:
>
> http://dbmail.org/

IIRC and according to a friend, the-company-who-shall-not-be-named runs
DBMail, and I believe at least one employee of t-c-w-s-n-b-n is on this
list (Brett, inquiring minds want to know...)

NetWinsite sells mail server software called DMail, which stores mail in a
database (not MySQL - er, probably not).  It's commercial software though.
We license our news server software (DNews) from them, and their
software/support pricing is reasonable.

Actually you can probably get mail INTO the database pretty easily.  A
little procmail love and a very simple perl script that reads an mbox
message on STDIN and you're done.  This is more or less what OTRS does
(www.otrs.org).  In fact, OTRS alone might just do it for you.