No. You just need to make sure that you have the extensions. Watch when you
go to save a file. Most applications will have a checkbox to hide the
extension, so when you save a file as document1, in Word, it will save it as
document1.doc. As for any of the files that you are having problems opening,
just add the file extension to them, and you should be good to go.

If you have the file extensions, then OS X will match them with the
applications. Apple stopped relying on resource forks so that you wouldn't
have problems like this. Change is always a problem though.