> > Sorry, that's no longer necessarily true. All they have to do is claim that
> > it is in some way related to terrorism and they can do whatever they want.
> >
> > Welcome to the land of the free.
> >
> > --
> > Matthew S. Hallacy                            FUBAR, LART, BOFH Certified
>

> They still need a warrant. The real concern would be rubberstamp judges.
>
> SNEAK AND PEEK SEARCH WARRANTS AND THE USA PATRIOT ACT
> http://www.law.uga.edu/academics/profiles/dwilkes_more/37patriot.html

Exactly.  That's the distinction I was making - Bloomington Police would
be dissappointed if they were to walk into Sihope and ask for e-mail
records without a warrant, just as St. Paul police would be to try and
search my home without one (not that I have anything to hide - they're
welcome in my home, and I make an effort to provide cold water/soda or
hot coffee when they're trolling the 'hood on the weekends).

Whether they have enough supporting evidence to get the warrant issued
isn't my problem (at Sihope anyways).  Or whether it's a "rubber stamp"
judge, as Randy mentioned, or some ridiculous provision of the patriot
act that trivializes probably cause and eases the warrant process.  In
some way, shape, or form, the judges were appointed, the laws
constructed, and the law carried out, by people we elected into office.
This is precisely why I don't vote :)  I can't be held responsible for
the screw-ups that get elected.  But I also lose my right to complain
about them.

That said, if law enforcement shows up with a warrant, they get
precisely what the warrant outlines.  Probably after ID checked and
photocopied, and badges verified with the appropriate agencies.

Breaking laws because you don't agree with them is fine for dirty
hippies smoking the magic dragon in a VW bus, but civil disobedience has
little place in business, and is best left to said hippies (they're
expendable).  Stupid dirty hippies.