On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:28:34 -0500
Matt Murphy <mmurphy at tc-tech.com> wrote:

> Josh Trutwin wrote:
>
> > My wife works for an inner city Minneapolis public school, she
> > would certainly welcome 5-6 of these.
>
> 	Umm, maybe I went to one of the better schools or something,
> 	but when I
> was in Minneapolis public schools the computers certainly weren't
> this bad! Heck I built my first P100 computer while attending
> southwest high school 9 years ago! MPS may not be totally current,
> but I'd think they're doing better than 8-9 years behind...

Yeah, but she works in a special education room and cannot really get at any of the nice computers.  She's trying to build a small network that she can use to install some education software that their IT people do not want to support but that she has grant money to get.  She told me that the software wasn't anything fancy and that a Pentium should handle it (we still run one in the house so she knows how slow it actually is).  I should've been more specific, basic web browsing and another program is all these things need to handle.  Her teacher workstation is a pretty decent machine, PIII or PIV, but she is unable to get any decent much less working computers for her project for her students to use.  She tried to salvage some old Macs that were in a storage room, but that was a disaster.  They don't have any junked out machines that are not Macs so I think we could actually put these to use.

Josh