If you really insist on using pop3, apt-get install qpopper. It's
terrific, it looks in /var/mail/<user> by default, and uses /etc/shadow
for installation. But I must agree, imap is like 100x better, and for
that, dovecot all the way.

~J

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 08:57, Chris Frederick wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I have a few servers running in the office that I'd like to manage the
> security logs for.  I set up postfix for one and have the others mailing
> the logs to that server already and I'm using mutt to read mail.  I've
> been toying with the idea of setting up a pop3 daemon so I could read
> the mail with mozilla since it handles my other accounts already.
> Mandrake doesn't mention anything about having a pop3 daemon in the
> distro already, and google shows a lot of options.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
>
> I'm looking for something simple and easy, I don't have a lot of time to
> do setup and maintenance right now.  It's not going over the internet,
> just local net, so I don't need super security or anything.  Though for
> the future if it has any neat features (ssl/webmail/user-pass
> aliasing/chroot jail-able) I won't frown upon it.  I just need something
> simple that I can just toss in, tell it to look at /var/spool/mail, use
> pam for authentication, and be done with it, and when I have more time
> or some other need I still have room to grow.
>
> Thanks again,
> Chris Frederick

Jonathan Kline <klinej at msoe.edu>
Milwaukee School of Engineering