I just downloaded 1.3.31 and the latest mod-ssl and it worked fine.  But
this was on a FreeBSD box, not Linux...

Can you do this:

Blow away the untar'd apache and mod-ssl directories
Untar them again (so we have a clean, untainted copy...)
Run "script" so you can keep an exact log of everything (file "typescript"
will be created in your current directory)

Then do these:

cd mod_ssl-2.8.17-1.3.31
./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.31
cd ../apache_1.3.31
./configure --enable-module=ssl
make

Don't enable any other Apache thingies or anything else - just do those
exact commands.

Then type "exit" to close the typescript session.  E-mail me the script
file off-list.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications