Unless you're tied to Apache 2 for some reason, here is what I would
recommend, for simplicity:

Download the latest Apache (1.3.31)
Download the latest mod_ssl that matches the Apache version

modssl.org says current is mod_ssl 2.8.17 for Apache 1.3.31

Untar the apache distribution
Untar the mod_ssl distribution
cd mod_ssl-x.x.x
./configure --with-apache=../apache-1.3.31
cd ../apache-1.3.31
./configure --enable-module=ssl (and any other options you want)
make
(optionionally "make certificate" for a dummy cert)
make install

The example httpd.conf that gets installed is ready to go for SSL, you
just need to define a virtual host and install the certificates.