I'd be interesting to see if what the power consumption would be for
disk spin up/spin down/savings compared to using flash.

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Chad Walstrom
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 11:39 AM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Fedroa+laptop=Constant Hard drive activity

Ben Neigebauer wrote:
> I wonder if it would make any sense, or save power maybe to use a
> PCMCIA flash card for logs and stuff. They are pretty cheap these days
> and the industrial grade ones have 1million write cycles. This way the
> hd can spin down even when those things keep going.

IIRC, writing to flash cards is a pretty expensive operation WRT power
consumption, relatively speaking.  I don't know how it compares to
harddrives.  I know that when I try to erase a bunch of pictures on my
camera, the battery gets drained rather quickly.  For mass-erase
operations, I usually plug in the AC adaptor if it's available.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/