Johnny Fulcrum wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I have fedroa core1 on a dell latitude and have noticed a lot of hard
> drive activity.  The hard drive LED flickers constantly (sometimes goes
> solid on for a second or two).  I install gkrellm and there's a little
> chart for disk activity - every second or so it'll chart disk activity.
>
> Is there any tools or commands I can use to see what process is making
> the  HD grind ?  I looked through a ps -ef and didn't see anything too
> suspect  - I also have "turned off" uneeded services using chkconfig....
> thanks
> johnnyf

You might find this quote from the release notes helpful:
#

The Fedora Core 1 kernel now includes support for laptop
mode. When placed in laptop mode, the kernel batches disk
I/O, allowing the disk drive to become idle long enough for
the drive's power-saving features to take affect. This can
result in significant increases in battery runtime.

To enable laptop mode, issue the following command:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

To disable laptop mode, issue the following command:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

NOTE: The APM scripts included with Fedora Core 1
automatically enable laptop mode when switching to battery
power.