Not having Gnome installed shouldn't make it so that the installer
doesn't recognize the OS version. Evolution should be installed by
default when you install Fedora. Are you trying to install Evolution
from Ximian's site? If so, I don't think Ximian supports Fedora. That
would explain the error.

Check to make sure that you don't already have Evolution installed on
your system. You can do this by running rpm -q evolution in your
terminal. It should return something like evolution-1.4.5-7. If it does
not, install the rpm from the installer CDs.

Mike