On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 07:29:11AM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 20:10, Karl Bongers wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know why the first(x.x.x.0) IP address is reserved?
> > What is it used for?
> > Seems like a waste of a perfectly good address to me.
> I found a good explanation of subnets as
> http://www.ezine.com/EZInternet.SubNet.html
>
> This shuld answer your questions.

Thanks Jon, it was a good read, didn't know about the CIDR versus
Classic thing.  But, it still leaves it unaswered:
quote:
The address with a host portion that is all zeroes is the same as the
network address and cannot be used as an actual host address because
this causes confusion with certain network commands and messages.

Oh, confusion, thats it :)  With "certain" network commands.  What
network commands exactly?

My guess is that it is a convenience×Øused when implementing routing
tables/software.  Unless it is used "on the wire" for something
useful, I still feel it is a waste of an address.