On Thu, 13 May 2004, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I do believe (I could be wrong) that address space is less than 255
> addresses per class C subnet.
> 0 to 254 would be 255 addresses for a class C network.
>
> So 0 to 254, less 0 (as a reserved address) is 254 addresses.
>
> Some one tell me if I'm mistaken please.

 Not quite.  The magic number is 256 -- 0-255.  Of that, three numbers
can't be used: 0 (the network address), 255 (the broadcast address), and
the gateway's address, which is usually either 1 or 254, depending on
administrator preference (although I've seen a random number in the middle
used).  0 and 255 are still totally usable, just not in a /24; you'd have
to go to /23 or bigger for them to be available (and I've heard some OSes
don't like using them; I don't know, though).

     Jima